IELTS results are reported on a 9-band scale. This is intended to be simple and easy to understand. Here in this article you should know how to understand IELTS score.
They are reported as band scores on a scale of 1 (lowest) to 9 (highest).
The IELTS scale
Group rating: 9
- Skill Level – Expert User
- Description – The candidate has a fully working command of the language. Use of English is suitable, correct and fluent, and demonstrates a thorough understanding.
- Group rating: 8
- Skill level -Very good user
- Description – The candidate has a fully working command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriate use. So, they may misunderstand things in unfamiliar situations. Also, it handle complex and detailed arguments fine.
Group rating: 7
- Skill Level – Good User
- Description – The candidate has a working command of the language, but with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriate use and misunderstandings in some situations. Also, this is generally handle complex language fine and understands detailed reasoning.
Group rating: 6
- Skill Level – Skilled User
- Description – The candidate has an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate uses and misunderstandings. It can use and appreciate fairly complex language, especially in recognizable situations.
Group rating: 5
- Skill Level – Modest User
- Description – The candidate has a partial command of the language and manages the general meaning in most situations, although they are likely to make many errors. Also, it must be capable to handle essential communication in their own domain.
Understand the Scores
Group rating: 4
- Skill Level – Limited User
- Description – The candidate’s basic competence is limited to familiar situations. So, they frequently present comprehension and expression problems. Also, it is not capable to use composite language.
Group rating: 3
- Skill level – Extremely limited user
- Description – The candidate conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Also, communication breakdowns are frequent.
Group rating: 2
- Skill Level – Intermittent User
- Description – As a result, the candidate has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.
Group rating: 1
- Skill Level – Non-user
- Description – The test user has no capability to use the language except for for a few inaccessible words.
Group rating: 0
- Skill Level – Did not attempt the test
- Description – The candidate did not answer the questions.
Calculation of the Group’s Overall Score
As a result, score is assigned for each component of the test – listening, reading, writing and speaking. These individual scores are then averaged and rounded to produce an overall group score.
Validity Period of IELTS Results
Although it is up to each organization to define a validity period that suits their needs, IELTS partners recommend a 2-year validity period for IELTS test results based on the well-documented phenomenon of loss or second language attrition.
If you think about going abroad for your studies and taking the IELTS, but you don’t know where to start? Let us help you. Get in touch with us at overseas education consultants in India, and we can help you get into your dream school/ university abroad without a problem. Please join IELTS coaching in Lucknow.
Also read: How Indian Students Survive in UK during Their Studies?